It has been noted, not without serious concern that the Project will result in:
- The loss of a wetlands system and that no mitigation methods can be realistically prescribed for this activity;
- The placement of the TSF within or next to wetland areas will impact on the underlying geohydrology of the system;
- The surface hydrological dynamics would be altered which will have both water quality and quantity implications for the catchment; and
- The subsequent loss of ecological services (an important ecological service identified for the system is the enhancement of water quality) provided by the wetland units within this catchment area;
- The TSF area may have water quality and quantity implications for the downstream water users;
- The selected TSF site may not be ideal for tailings construction from a wetlands perspective since it is surrounded by wetlands on three sites and very close to the riparian zones of uncommon unchannelled valley bottom wetlands as well as the fact
- that pans occur in the centre of the site;
- An offset strategy is recommended but the strategy has not been compiled in consultation with the relevant authorities and interested and affected parties.
A full comment is available to download.