SA News

Sasol drops air pollution court challenge

Written by  Melanie Gosling, Cape Times Friday, 01 May 2015 04:07
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Cape Town – Petrochemicals giant Sasol has dropped its court challenge to have some of the government’s stricter new air pollution laws scrapped.

 

The withdrawal of the court action comes after the Department of Environmental Affairs granted Sasol several postponements in order to comply with the new regulations. This allows Sasol to continue to emit toxic pollutants that exceed the country’s air quality laws for another five years.

Sasol and Natref – a joint venture with Sasol Oil and Total SA – instituted legal action last year against Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa and the National Air Quality Officer to have certain minimum emissions standards under the National Environmental Management Air Quality Act set aside. Sasol’s plants are located in hot spots where there is serious air pollution.

Sasol spokesman Alex Anderson confirmed yesterday the company had applied for postponements regarding complying with the air quality laws, which came into effect this month, because of “short-term challenges relating to the compliance time frames”.

The postponements had been granted and incorporated into Sasol’s atmospheric emission licences.

However, Sasol said the postponements may not give it long enough to clean up its pollutants, “particularly where feasible solutions are not presently available to achieve compliance with the new plant standards”. Sasol was referring to the standards it would have to comply with by April 2020.

Yesterday the Legal Resources Centre, which had asked to be admitted as a friend of the court, disputed Sasol’s claim that complying with the air pollution standards was not feasible. “Sasol is purely playing for time to save its shareholders money,” Angela Andrews, of the centre, said yesterday.

Sasol argued in court papers that some of these emission standards were unlawful, as the minister had not followed the correct procedures under the 2007 National Framework. It also argued that installing some of the equipment to clean up emissions would require a long lead time, while installing others would not be “reasonable or feasible in the South African context”.

The Legal Resources Centre said had Sasol persisted with and been successful in its court challenge against the government, it would have “set back a massive environmental programme for improved air quality by the department that spans over a decade”. There had been wide consultations with industry and a range of other parties over many years before the new laws were promulgated. “Sasol was never in favour of the proposed limits and attempted to have them watered down both before and after they were first implemented,” the centre said.

However, Sasol said yesterday it was “committed to advancing ambient air quality management in a sustainable manner” and would continue to engage with the government to find solutions for its “remaining challenges”.

Centre for Environmental Rights attorney Tracey Davies said: “By displaying such extraordinary unwillingness to act as a responsible corporate citizen and do everything in its significant power to invest in improving South Africa’s appalling air quality, from which millions suffer and to which Sasol is a significant contributor, Sasol is simply shoring up liability for the future.”

Molewa welcomed Sasol’s decision to withdraw legal action, saying the department played a key role in ensuring South Africans had an environment not harmful to their health.

Melanie Gosling, Environment Writer

 

Cape Times

MINING

Tours of West Rand gold fields

The FSE conducts regular tours with interested and affected parties, of the West Rand gold fields and Sibanye Gold’s operations. 

Mine Shafts: Accidents waiting to happen

  Eighty-two shafts without warning signs.  Twenty-two open shafts.  Three wate...

Residents left in the dark over AMD treatment

The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) has been accused of “authorising po...

SA NEWS

Lauded for research on SA acid mine drainage

The launch of Acid mine drainage in South Africa: Development actors, policy impacts and broader implications, by Suvania Naidoo, took place on 10 February 2017. The book has proven to be a timely publication because of the incipient water crisis in South Africa. The event was hosted by Unisa’s Department of Development Studies in the College of Human Sciences. The guests were welcomed by the chair of the department, Prof Gretchen du Plessis, who expressed that “development studies is an ever-changing discipline and is a space where different issues converge”. She further stated that the book fills a void in our knowledge about acid mine drainage (AMD) and that the publication is “an example of hard work which results in big achievements”.

Truth of the dust that brings death

  A new hard-hitting report from Harvard Law School details how South Africa has failed to meet its human rights obligations concerning gold mining in and around Joburg. Bonnie Docherty, who led the research, spoke to Sheree Bega

Harvard Report: The Cost of Gold

A report has been published by the Harvard Law School International Human Rights Clinic titled "The Cost of Gold: Environmental, Health, and Human Rights Consequences of Gold Mining in South Africa’s West and Central Rand.   The reports states, "The complex web of responsible government agencies and repeated legislative changes to that organizational structure have impeded the development of a coordinated plan to deal with the negative effects of mining. The limited scope of action, inadequate attention to at-risk communities, and insufficient consideration of environmental concerns have undermined the completeness of any response."

SA hasn't protected residents from gold mine pollution: Harvard report

JOHANNESBURG South Africa has failed to protect residents affected by pollution from contaminated water and mine dumps over more than 130 years of gold mining near Johannesburg, an independent investigation by the Harvard Law School said.

WATER

Eastern Basin acid water plant is "sledgehammer"

The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) has used a "sledgehammer" for its R1bn treatment plant for acid mine drainage (AMD) on the Eastern mining basin that could ultimately create more toxic water.  This is the view of water strategy and consulting mining hydrologist Kym Morton, who believes government is "wasting money" by pumping large volumes of water and adding lime that makes it alkaline but still toxic and hazardous. 

SABC Health Talk, Environmental Health: 25 February 2017

Focus on preventing illness rather than incurring the expense of treatment....

Rand Water tightens the taps in Gauteng

In the Midvaal suburb where Sipho Mosai lives, the gardens are lush and green be...