This document is not to oppose the proposed project, but to attempt to highlight the environmental challenges, which are perceived as significant, and to make recommendations.
The project is conceived as necessary in order to better address the risks associated with closure namely:
- Latent impacts, which may take decades, or even centuries, to manifest themselves.
- Inherent water quality risks.
- The radionuclides, which are associated with the gold mine ore bodies.
- Unlined tailings dams and waste rock dumps, which can never be maintained in completely reducing environment.
- Long term risk regarding the formation of sinkholes.
Download the comment here