The FSE conducted a tour on the 17th of May 2022 of the West Rand gold fields with Dr Daniel Masekameni of the University of the Witwatersrand and his students as part of the MPH in Exposure and Health program. The objective of the tour was for the students to identify potential emitting sources, stressors of interest, release mechanisms and exposure pathways (air, water and soil) linking the source to human receptors. The tour included visitations to the Mintails’ Group of Companies’ Tailings Storage Facilities, clusters of open pits, sand dumps, the Lancaster Dam; Sibanye Stillwater’s Randfontein operations; and the Western Basin AMD treatment Plant.
The students’ group consisted of individuals occupying managerial positions in Environmental Health, Occupational Health and other qualified Medical Practitioners. The following persons also participated in the tour:
- Ms Lauren Nel and a candidate attorney from the Legal Resource Centre (LRC). The LRC is the FSE’s attorneys on record in the Mintails matter.
- Mr Stephan du Toit and his colleague from Mogale City Local Municipality. Both are Environmental Management Inspectors [EMI]).
- Ms Mbali Mpanza of the University of Johannesburg and a non-executive director of the FSE.
- Mr Bongumusa Mbatha, an environmental activist from Slovoville.
- Mr Brett Coutts and colleague from Digby Wells Environmental and consultants to Pan African Resources.
- Mr Sunday Mabaso, the former Regional Manager of the DMRE and now a consultant to Pan African Resources, the potential successor in title of Mintails SA (Pty) Ltd.
The FSE expresses its sincere thanks to:
- Messrs Andre du Plessis and Grant Stuart of Sibanye-Stillwater for permitting us to visit Sibanye-Stillwater’s Randfontein Operations, and for their availability, transparency and assistance.
- Ms Lauren Nel of the Legal Resource Centre for her sustained support.
- Dr Daniel Masekameni and his colleagues for their collaboration.
- Mr Stephan du Toit of Mogale City Local Municipality for his ongoing co-operation.
- Ms Mbali Mpanza for her support of the FSE’s activities and objectives.
- Pan African Resources for providing the security services for the tour.
- And to all others for their interest and support.